Leidy Microscopical Society

Leidy Microscopical Society logo

Organized: 1925
Joined EFMLS:

Board Members:

President:
Eric Brosius
Vice President:
Karenne Snow
Secretary:
John Ferrante
Treasurer:
Don McAlarnen
EFMLS Liason:
Editor:
Eric Brosius
Webmaster:
John Ferrante
Newsletter:
Rock Chatter

Public Contact Information:

No public contact information has been provided at this time
Region 3
Meetings: 3rd Thursday of the Month
19:30:00
North Presbyterian Church, 140 Trenton Road, Fairless Hills PA 19030
Shows:
second Saturday in March
Additional Show/Swap Details:
Annual Micromounting Symposium is the second Saturday in March. Advent Lutheran Church, 45 Worthington Mill Road, Richboro PA 18954

Additional Info:

The Leidy Microscopical Society was organized in 1858 as part of the Biological and Microscopical section of The Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. A group of 27, including many medical doctors, met regularly to study the natural sciences through microscopy. In 1925 the group was reorganized as an independent entity under its present name. The name was chosen to honor Dr. Joseph M. Leidy, a founder and eminent member of the society. Micromounting originated in the Philadelphia area and is the main focus of the Society. The Society met at the Academy of Natural Sciences until January of 1995 when it moved to its present location in the Northminster Presbyterian Church in Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania.

The society owns a number of antique brass microscopes such as Zentmayers and Becks and accessories that date back to the early days of microscopy. They represent a priceless heritage, and are frequently exhibited by Leidy members at mineral and fossil shows throughout the region. Additionally, the society is the beneficiary of several 19th Century microscopic slides collections covering medical, zoological, botanical and geological specimens including the historic Frank Keeley micromount collection.

Last Updated: